Sunday, April 20, 2008

Loyalty, Strategy, Teamwork

I was at a medical centre nearby my house late morning to get my Thyphoid vaccination for my second semester. Starting this semester we'll be handling food in the kitchen for 3 weeks. But mine doesn't start until June.

Anyway, as it was my turn to meet the doc, Dr. Lim, he gave me more than an injection. He showed me how enthusiasted he is at work and he is as concerned of a patient's education as their health. First he asked why i was getting one and I explained to him i am about to be in the kitchen service and do not want to poison any of my customers.

But my explanation merely satisfied him. HAHAHA. He detailly illustrated me about how the bacterias are passed through etc. He also told me to get vaccinated of Hep A&B and flu as well. No he didn't mean that i should get it NOW. He wasn't forcing me just so you know. And he also told me that this vaccination lasts for 3 years. So if i were to go out to workfield within 3 years and needed the same vaccination, I can go back to get an acknowledgement from him. =)

Then i told him that my friends experienced numbness on their whole arm after 1 or 2 hours they got the vaccination. He then again, explained to me that it's the body defense mechanism to react to the unknown agent and trigger the body to protect from certain bacteria. Maybe i learnt all these during high school but predicatably, i gave it back to my teachers. And funny how my left arm still function normally. kekekekeke.....

Later on, he also told me about these 4 keys - Attitude, On Time, Knowledge and Food Intake. He said it is important for people to have the right attitude when comes to taking care and preventing ourselves from getting hurt. Inevitably, when human reach their sixties, they can't fight certain diseases. But in our early years, we can equip ourselves with knowledge and learn about some medical information. He also explained that having priortise our health condition by giving more attention and regular checkups is crucial. So as the food we eat. He said i was lucky coz i still have an average body size. Not obese. HAHAHA. So i gotta maintain it. And i felt so guilty! I've been having alcohols for past 2 days!! =(

Anyway, there's still more. He also told me about some China history on 3 kingdoms thingy. Beat me, my chinese history subject merely passed. But he didn't kept me long by telling me the whole story. He only told me the essentials. Loyalty, Strategy and Teamwork. It doesn't apply only in the older days but also today. But (i hope) i know that tertiary students should've known about these 3 elements that makes a team successful. So i don't have to elaborate more.

You think this is the end? No not yet. He also gave me a website (http://www.cdc.gov/) saying that this is the only website that provide vital information on a variety of disease and not advertising any health products or drugs etc. He also said that this website is usually used by doctors to refer to so i can skip some info on the website. Unless i am a doctor wannabe in future. ^^ So visit it to know more. =)

For all these, i only paid S$30 and maybe some 15 mins in his office. I believed that his nurses wre abit impatient as there were patients waiting outside. Muahahahhaa..... I also got complimented too! Talk about a good day! Dr. Lim said that i was very receptive towards his educating session and was glad that i listened attentively. ^^

Maybe next time i would pretend to fall sick and visit him. :O

Just kidding!!

So my purpose of this blog is to share with you all about this useful website that might save your life one day.

So enjoy learning and have a good day!!


(Disclaimer: Dr. Lim is not a drop dead gorgeous McSteamy or McDreamy. He's just an average doctor in his sixties. So i am not boy craze after him. In case you guys wondering)

0 comments: